Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Why I teach 2nd grade

"I'm sweating cuz I'm learning a lot."

"If we don't take care of our world, it will get dirty and we will die. Just like when you smoke or do drugs or stuff, your body gets dirty and you die."

Boy: "Why is George Washington wearing girl shoes?"
Girl: "Because all presidents wear girl shoes."
Boy: "Obama doesn't."
Girl: "I meant in the old days."

"I'll kiss you so much that soon you'll love somebody!"

Me: "If it takes 1 whole day driving to get to Disneyland, how long would it take to get from Missouri to Oregon." Note: we are looking at a map and comparing distances.
Kids: (using fingers on the map) "10 days!"
Me: "Can you walk as fast as your car goes on the freeway?" (we are talking about pioneers now)
Kids: "NO"
Me: "Well how long do you think it might take to walk from Missouri to Oregon?"
Kids: "11 day!"

Boy: "Why does this flag have a circle of stars?"
Girl: "There used to just be no states discovered yet."
Another boy: "So pretty soon we'll have hundreds of stars!"

Me: "How would you weigh a feather?"
Boy: "Well it don't weigh nothin'."

very white girl: "Mrs. Sexton, I'm 4 quarters Indian."

Me: "If my pumpkin weighs 8 lbs, how much do you think your weighs?" (about the same size)
Girl: "40 lbs"

Boy: "During PE I cracked my knee cap. Can I get my first aid kit from my backpack?"

"Mrs. Second...Mrs. Sexton?"

"I have a problem with my brain. All I want to do is arts and crafts, even in school...So I'll do that at home, ok?"

Me: "Does your sister like college?"
Girl: "Well not sometimes-she's running out of money. She only has $20 and gas is like $80."

"I'm going to write about when I made breakfast 5 years ago when I was 5." (I teach 7 and 8 year olds)

3 comments:

Lovinlifetothemax said...

Hilarious!!! I'll bet it is difficult to not bust up laughing when the kids make some of these comments. What cute kids!

Cory said...

why did those good ol' days of comedy have to die out when you get to college...or past elementary school. maybe I should visit some day just to listen :D

Renae said...

Don't worry...I laugh!