Monday, March 15, 2010

Vacuum Repair


So our vacuum has been making an awful burning smell. We cleaned out all the filters and tubes and whatnot, but it did not fix the burning. When Chris was at class, I decided I was going to solve the problem no matter what. I whipped out the owner's manual and read it cover to cover. As I removed the top of the bottom part, I found a once-was belt that was now just a snake-no connection whatsoever. I felt so proud that I found the problem and researched forEVER online to figure out what kind of belt to get. I drove down to Walmart and was super excited to find out that a package of 2 belts was only $2! What a find! So I came home and hooked everything back up. I had a hard time getting the brush roll all the way back into the slot, but it seemed to be ok. I rolled it around a few times manually like the manual said and then I vacuumed. It worked great...for 5 feet and then the burning again. I took the top off again and found that since the brush roll was not all the way in, it had shredded the plastic and broke. UGH. I admit, I cried. I was defeated and now had to go buy a brand-new vacuum. My mom, however, told me to take it into The Mending Shed on State St and see if they could fix it. (I knew they would not be able to!) So I did and they said that I did break it but not that much. They gave me a $16 new brush roll and sent me on my way. I installed the new brush roll and voila! my wonderful vacuum works like NEW!! I was amazed and so grateful for clean carpet!!!! YAY for actually figuring it out and fixing a vacuum. I'm so proud :)

2 comments:

Kelli Duthrie said...

Good work you handiwoman you! I wish my vacuum would start having burning smells and then I could have an excuse to buy a new one.. mine is miserable! (I guess you don't really get quality when you spend less than $50.) haha

Kathryn said...

Way to go Renae! I love an independant woman.