I decided to go domestic again and can peaches. What an adventure! I went to the Allred Farms stand and asked a lady there what kind of peaches are good for canning. She happily informed me that the Lemon Elbertas were the best-and oh my, those are the kind they sell. Hmm, I wondered if I was getting a biased opinion, but I decided to make my purchase. I settled for a 1/2 bushel instead of my preconceived idea of getting a whole bushel. (I thanked myself later!) After procuring jars, a water bath canner steamer thing, coolio tongs, and lids (What a nightmare! I think all of Utah went to the Springville Walmart on Friday just before I did and bought everything I needed). This morning I woke up excited to can! I started blanching the peaches and was amazed at how easily the skins of the peaches just fell off-I rather enjoyed the clean, slimy peaches. Loading the jars was easy enough-it made me wish I was back at home with 7 people to help me though. Then into the steamer and away we go! My peaches are done and just cooling off on a towel now!
Mt Nebo/Silver Lake Hikes
2 days ago





1 comment:
wow...so domestic! I've never canned anything... I was proud of myself for making salsa the other day. of course i made it too spicy and it gives Michael a tummy ache when I eat it...but I was still proud...
Post a Comment